Monday, May 28, 2012

LaSota Guided Math (My version of it!)

Hi Blogging friends!

I have taught using a guided math format for about 4-5 years.  For about 3-4 years I had three math rotations.  Due to the make-up of my class and the extra time needed for working on social skills- I moved to two guided math rotations.

Here is how I complete math:
In August, as I am working on reaching stamina and establishing rules and routines, I check my students on K skills.  I am in the process of creating these for the common core k standards.


Based on how my students did on the K assessment, I choose a 1st grade assessment and teach it whole group on Monday.


Then, I give my students the pre-assessment after the one lesson to determine what to do next.
Based on the results:
  • If almost all students do well- I skip focusing on that skill.  I just add it to our math meeting review and the students that did not do well- earn that skill as their goal.
  • If most students do not know the skill- I either teach it whole group or teach it in my small guided math groups even though it would be the same lesson.

I have a version of this on my Mimio.  This is our daily warm- up.

I send this home during the week that I am teaching the skill.

This year I had to move to two rotation groups.  I place students into groups based on their pre-assessment. 

  • Math on My Own- This is usually a skill worksheet (in the laminated pouches) that students can check their answers.  When they finish- they go to math facts and practice their facts until I signal for the next rotation.
  • Math with Teacher- Students meet me at the front carpet for a mini- lesson.  White boards are available for students to use.  When I finish with my lesson- they students who seem to "get" the lesson go to work on individual math goals.  The other students stay with me for a longer lesson.

I keep a variety of fun manipulative materials like fish stones, fuzzy pom-poms, jewels, beads etc.  The students may use these materials to work on their math facts.  It is interesting to watch what students choose to use.



We try to end Monday-Thursday with problem solving.  I hope to have a better schedule next year to make sure that I can always fit it in!  Regardless we meet back together and discuss what we learned.

I assess at the end of the week using a quarterly post skill assessment.  I also record if there was student mastery in student I Can notebooks. 

On Friday- I complete my post- assessment, fact assessments and also have math games and math art/ activity rotations.  We try to apply what we learned during the week into a game and an art or activity. 
We have favorite activities that we will pull out and play a couple times a month.

This is one more item that I am putting in my portfolio.  (I try to update it each year!)  :-)

For those of you that have your last week of school this week- enjoy it!  I don't know about you but I always get really sappy and cry on the last day!  :-( 

I always make my students a slide show and display recess, and special event pictures all year with fun and catchy songs.  The last song on the slide show is, My Wish.  I have their first day of school picture and then put a heart around it and it goes to their last week of school picture.  I always sob as I make this part each year.  I think that I have been putting off making this last part of the slide show because I am super emotional about this class already.  It has been like an emotional roller coaster this year.  I have a lot of time, thought and love poured into each of my students this year.  It was a challenging but a huge professional growth year because of my kiddos. 

I hope that you enjoy your little ones during the last few days too!  :-)

Signature

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for breaking it down. I love how you have everything set up. I'm definitely using it as a model for how to set up guided math for next year. Thanks for sharing! :)

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great, Danielle! I definitely need to get more organized with my math. Thanks for sharing.

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have so many resources and things to share on your blog! I'm glad to award you with the Liebster Award for bloggers with less than 200 followers. Check it out here: Liebster Award

    Melissa at Mrs. Smith's First Grade Class

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! I am your newest follower. I would love to have you stop by mine and check it out.

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - looks wonderful - do you have copies of your common core assessments that you give or sell? This looks so good - exactly what I've been trying to come up with - would you be willing to share(or sell) forms?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog! Great math ideas . . . especially for that huge common core push that is a comin' our way. Pop in for a visit if you find the time :)

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete