Sunday, January 20, 2013

Table Token Economy

For math- my grade level assesses students every 3 weeks or so to determine appropriate grouping of students in the grade level.  From my most recent assessment- I determined that my group needs more practice with coin identification and counting money.  We practice coins whole group often but it just was not enough.  I decided to make it more "real" for the students.

My "homeroom" class has a token economy system based on their daily behavior color.  Once a month I have a fabulous parent set up a class store and they spend the money that they earn.

I only have my math group for 1 hour a day so I had to come up with something that could work with them.


This is what I came up with:


I used clear plastic cups, velcro, a marker and a ruler to make token economy cups. I am making one of these for each table.

 

 

 I used a ruler to stabilize the cups and attached velcro to the ruler and the bottom of the cups.

 

 

 
Then I wrote the type of coin on the top inside of the cup and how many coins you needed to exchange to the next value on the outside. For example: Once they have 5 or more pennies, they will exchange 5 pennies and put one nickel in the next cup.


 
Students will this in during the last 5-7 minutes of class each day.
 
 
 
I am going to use the version on the left.  At the end of the week, if they don't spend everything- they can carry the money over to the next week. 
 
You can download the documents for FREE here.
 
****I am still having trouble uploading images into blogger so sorry for the bad iphone pictures!****

Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment