Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Guided Math Rotations

I thought that the other guided math post was too long so I waited to post this.  I have had many emails asking me about my math rotations so I am going to post it here.

Here is an example of an exit slip that I give my students after my Monday whole group lesson and the planning page I use to determine what I work on for each group.





Here are my rotation charts:
This is backed in orange paper.,  I call it my orange math group.  When I say "first rotation" they come and sit on the carpet ready for instruction!


This is backed in pink paper and is my pink math group.  During first rotations they work on work on numbers and when they finish they go and work on math goals over and over until it is time to rotate.


This is backed in green paper. and is my green group.  During first rotation they go grab their differentiated math on my own worksheet or just a simple skill review worksheet or even a Saxon math worksheet.  When they finish, they work on math facts over and over until it is time to rotate.

Example Rotations


Math on My own-  You can use a simple review sheet like this, a sheet from your math series etc.  This also can be differentiated easily by the group that your students are divided into for the week.

Work on Numbers-  You can give the students number sheets to complete etc.  I actually usually use a skill for the week like "counting forward."  Then I have a small pocket chart that holds a green, pink and orange index card.  I write different counting forward skills that are differentiated.  Example:  Orange count and write 1-20, pink 50-70, green 105-145.  I Then have weekly jobs to practice these skills into a small spiral notebook.  Monday- write the numbers once using your hundred chart, Tuesday write the numbers in an AB pattern etc.

Math Facts-  Students can practice using this or a fact sheet but always have math facts available so that if the sheets are finished they can practice the facts using a dry erase board and objects etc.

Math Goals:
These are determined by skills that individual students have trouble mastering.  Until I have time and am organized enough to determine individual goals, I have the students all work on a review item.  Last week I had my students roll a shape die and they had to draw the shape on a dry erase board each time that it landed.  It was simple but kept them engaged.

Off to bed! 

-Danielle

Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment